The Archimedes Pilot is a large Flieger type watch that is based on the wartime B-Uhr watches used by the Luftwaffe. It’s powered by a veritable workhorse of a movement, the ubiquitous ETA 2824-2, but I think the current range has switched to the Silletta 200.1 due to the restrictive ebauches (movements) and parts supply policy that Swatch group’s introduced. The daft thing is that ETA’s job, when it was part of ASUAG, was to provide the Swiss watch industry with ebauches which is why it seems so completely wrong for Swatch group to now be limiting supply of ebauches and parts as it affects the whole industry it was created to support!
Anyway, moan over now back to the watch 🙂
It came in due to a problem with the manual winding, it had been feeling a bit ‘graunchy’ for some time but it was now impossible to wind any power on at all, although it still wound through the auto wind mechanism without a problem.
This model has a display back so you can look at the inner workings, but what’s that gold coloured dust that can be seen inside?
With the back off somethings obviously amiss, it’s like someones been using a miniature angle grinder in there!
The movement is also liberally sprinkled with gold dust.
Fortunately none of it had worked it’s way through any apertures to the dial side.
I removed the dial and the strip down started.
Once I’d finished the dial side I turned the movement over to start on the motion work side. The first thing that struck me is the gap visible between the upper crown wheel and it’s securing screw, basically there shouldn’t be one!
With the screw and wheels removed I could see where all those brass particles had originated from, the upper crown wheel had been wearing away it’s post for some time! This wheel transfers the winding motion of the crown to the ratchet wheel to manually wind the movement and it’s a high torque component that needs correct lubrication. For some reason this was completely dry and a few years of manual winding every now and then had done the damage. Not only had it made a mess of the bridge but the actual steel upper crown wheel was also worn and the increased torque had put excessive strain on the winding pinion and clutch and these components also needed replacing.
The rest of the strip down went without any further surprises.
After cleaning and inspection the rebuild started with a new mainspring.
The new parts had arrived by now so the rebuild continued.
Once I had it at this stage I recased the movement….
….then refitted the serviced auto mechanism.
I refitted the cleaned caseback and it was finally done.
The watch winds as smooth as butter now and should last a bit longer with the correct lubrication!